Forum > The Steelers add players via the draft and free agency

to the three returning ILB’s from 2018."After trading up to draft Devin Bush in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft Hines Ward Jersey , the Steelers currently have seven inside linebackers on the roster (eight when including Ryan Shazier who is expected to go on the Physically Unable to Perform list again this season). The projected depth chart for the Steelers at ILB is as follows:Vince WilliamsMark BarronDevin BushJon BosticTyler MatakevichRobert SpillaneTegray ScalesRyan Shazier (projected for PUP list)Per Kevin Colbert in his pre-draft press conference, the Steelers are not planning on instantly inserting any draft picks into the starting lineup. Therefore, it is safe to place Bush third on the depth chart as soon as he was drafted. There will be plenty of opportunity for Bush to move up into a starting position.An argument can be made for Vince Williams and John Bostic to start training camp in the top two ILB positions. Both players were starters in 2018 for the Steelers. But the Steelers have added one free agent and now their first round draft pick into the mix. It is just as likely Baron and Bush could be the starters in Week 1.Another thing to remember about Mark Barron is he originally came into the league as a safety. Barron could find himself playing the linebacker role in dime coverage, which is usually occupied by a defensive back. Baron’s flexibility is going to give him many more opportunities to be on the field. Vince Williams will be another interesting player to watch how things play out at inside linebacker. Entering his seventh year with the Steelers, Williams was given a new contract last off-season. It’s safe to say that Williams will hold the top spot on the depth chart initially, but his job security is definitely in question and totally production driven.Jon Bostic may find himself fighting to find the field for Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019. Although very productive from a statistic standpoint in 2018, there are limitations to what Bostic can be asked to do as a part of the Steelers defense.Tyler Matakevich may be fighting for a roster spot once again in 2019. A core special-teams player, the Steelers may once again go with five inside linebackers, especially if Mark Barron is helping to fill the “dime safety” role. But Matakevich may also find himself fighting to stay off the inactive list even if he does get on the 53-man roster.The final two inside linebackers on the depth chart, Robert Spillane and Tegray Scales, are players who were signed to futures contracts this offseason who both spent time on other teams practice squads in 2018. In both cases, it will be a very long shot for either player to make it onto the Steelers 53 man roster. At best, they would both need to highly impress in order to make the practice squad.Out of respect Heath Miller Jersey , Ryan Shazier still deserves a mention as a Steelers inside linebacker. Beating the odds, Shazier is continually working to have a chance of playing in the NFL again after his horrific 2017 spinal injury. Shazier himself already said he will not play in 2019.While the top four spots on the depth chart are up for debate, it is safe to say all four linebackers will be given the chance to showcase their talent. It is a great situation for Devin Bush not being forced into the starting lineup on day one. But if Bush has the skills worthy of trading into the top 10, he should be able to find himself with significant playing time sooner than later. Yay, the bye week is over and your Pittsburgh Steelers are somehow atop the AFC North despite not playing. It is Cleveland week again and my black-and-gold brain is spiraling out of control like a bachelorette party without Zima and a hunky, fake cop with a boom box. So as always, I pass the ravings along to you. But first, I must be a modest monk and seek tranquility for my transgressions of a week ago to and for the following gaffes.Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, but not Homegoods. I hate you for ruining any outing with my wife.A tweener’s hormonesThe imagining of Steelers WRs at Chuck E. Cheese or furniture shopping.Huey Lewis and the NewsMyself for not copyrighting “An Art is Burned”:Making all of you droll over the idea of a bacon burger stuffed with a taco stuffed with a supreme pizza.Comparing James Conner’s “bowling ball” run to making dudes fall down in a Madonna video.And now for the latest installment of Random Thoughts From a Black-and-Gold Mind.I have great respect for Mike Tomlin. Especially his coaching record later in the season, like his 28-16 mark for October. However, I don’t know why I waste time on Tuesdays listening to his press conferences. Like Seinfeld, it’s a show about nothing...but less entertaining. Going forward, every time I have to explain something to get out of hot water with my wife Louis Lipps Jersey , I’ll just go in Tomlin-mode. After a few “obviouslys”, “popcorn” and “not wanting to paint with a broad brush”, I’ll confuse and Jedi-Mind Trick myself out of peril.Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesSteeler players like Antonio Brown and Ramon Foster have spoken up and voiced their desire for the Steelers to acquire Patrick Peterson from the Cards. While I don’t think the FO will sack-up and go after the superstar cb, they should. Doing so would be awesome like “nudie magazine day” and greatly improve their championship chances while keeping him away from Kansas City and New England. Trading draft picks doesn’t necessarily mean that a team is mortgaging the future. Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree and Artie Burns are a sample of top choices in the past five years, while Senquez Golson, Sean Davis and James Washington are examples of twos. (You’d probably trade any one of them in a heartbeat for Peterson). When I think about draft picks, I picture Monty Hall and “Let’s Make a Deal”. Behind Door No. 2, you could win a trip to Maui or get stuck with a year’s supply of Rice-a-Roni...the San Francisco Treat.Former Steeler/Cardinal and P2 cousin, Bryant McFadden, has stated that the Steelers aren’t “players” in a possible deal.I know the Cards say they aren’t trading Peterson, but I tell my kids they can’t have lots of things and still end up not sticking to my guns. Those little scheisters wear me down. But they learned from the best. I had to wear my wife down to even get in a situation for them to be created.Janoris Jenkins and Gareon Conley are CB possibilities as well.The NFL trading deadline has typically been the most quiet of the four major sports, but I think it will start to become more and more like a feeding frenzy a la MLB. Dallas’ trade of a top pick to Oakland for Amari Cooper will open up the floodgates. Ben Roethlisberger John Stallworth Jersey , in reference to David Carr, said that it is all right for a man to cry. It’s a good thing because I cried when my kids were born, I cried when Ben found Santonio in the back of the end zone to rescue Lombardi and I cry every time the Steelers play the Patriots.I think Maurkice Pouncey’s comments about sitting back and enjoying the Le’Veon Bell saga are right on. At this point, it’s just become farcical.Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty ImagesMike Mitchell was named the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Week. Chicken Little was right, the sky is falling.The last five Browns head coaches have been fired after losses to Pittsburgh. Wacky Todd Haley could be the next mistake by the lake.Trading Bell will not and can not happen. He’s going to wait untill after the trading deadline to squash such a scenario. It is a shame. They would probably been able to squeeze better value out of No. 26 in this recent trading climate.The biggest thing I hate about social media and blog sites are fans that hide behind their keyboard and spew venom at the players. The latest was a ridiculous reply to a tweet about Mike Hilton’s marriage to his junior high sweetheart during the bye week break. Some moron tweeted the following: “Seriously he should have been practicing because the Steelers defense sucks. Fire tomlin”. People do realize that we don’t own these guys, right? They are allowed to have lives. So congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Hilton. “Renegade” is featured in both Billy Madison and at Heinz Field.And finally...I wonder what else Bryant McFadden is doing these days.Untill next time, song lyrics have notified me that they too are on their bye week, so I ask you to think about Mike Tomlin press conferences and this famous Jim Downey quote from 1995’s Billy Madison...What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it....Probably a bit harsh, but funny nonetheless. Take that for what it’s worth, Don’t stop Shalievin’, O’Doyle Rules and Go Steelers.

June 2, 2019 | Registered Commenterchenyan94 yan